Dress Code Update
A safe and disciplined learning environment is essential to a quality educational program. District-wide standards on student attire are intended to help students concentrate on schoolwork, reduce discipline problems, and improve school order and safety. The board recognizes that students have a right to express themselves through dress and personal appearance; however, students shall not wear apparel that school staff considers disruptive or potentially disruptive to the classroom environment or to the maintenance of a safe and orderly school.
Examples of articles of clothing not permitted at Barone Middle School:
- Any display of undergarments (while sitting or standing)
- Gang related apparel
- Bare midriffs, Halter tops, Tank tops with sleeves / straps less than 1 ½ inches (three fingers) wide
- See-through apparel, Mesh/net clothing
- Backless tops/dresses/ blouses
- Tops/blouses with straps less than 1 ½ inches (three fingers) wide
- Strapless dresses/blouses
- Hats or any other headgear including hoods (during school hours)
- Garments which promote or advertise alcohol, tobacco, drugs, or other products prohibited at school
- Garments containing offensive or obscene words or phrases, pictures, symbols, or images
- Skintight “spandex type” shorts
- Skirts/dresses/shorts that are deemed questionable or revealing (all must extend to knees. Mid-thigh or end of fingertip garments may be worn only with leggings.)
- Sunglasses – unless ordered by a medical professional
- Pajamas or other clothing worn at night to sleep in
- Articles of clothing that are excessively bulky so that they interfere with the student’s education. (sweatshirts and sweaters are alternatives to be worn instead of bulky coats on cold days in the classroom
- The wearing of any clothing that is disruptive to the educational climate as determined by school staff
Any student deemed in violation of the dress code shall be required to change into appropriate clothing or make arrangements to have appropriate clothing brought to school immediately. In this case, there shall be no further penalty.
If the student cannot promptly obtain appropriate clothing, on the first offense, the student shall be given a written warning and an administrator shall notify the student’s parents/guardians. On the second offense, the student shall remain in the administrative office for the day and do schoolwork and a conference with parents/guardians shall be held. On the third offense, the student may be subject to suspension or other disciplinary action as outlined in the school discipline code.